Manual control of triangles?

Users can post any suggestions regarding new features here for discussion. Don't forget to create a poll so that other users can vote on whether the suggested feature is needed.

sdlawrence

Manual control of triangles?

Post by sdlawrence »

What I would like to see is simple (for me to visualize, at least, I don't know about implementation):

We already have the ability to delete a "grouping" line between dots. I would like that same ability with the actual triangles: to delete, move, create, reassign or otherwise manually edit morphing control triangles at will.

For example, let's say that I wanted an image with a giant triangle area in the center, one which is frozen completely or else morphs only as dictated by the three lone dots which make up that single giant triangle. I can't do that now, because as I add more dots around the perimeter of the triangle, more triangles are opportunistically assigned, some of which will invariably intercept or cross over into the large centered triangle that I didn't want violated by anything else. Since I can't delete or reassign triangle lines, the only workaround I have at this point, which isn't anything close to perfect and is extremely dot-consuming and tedious, is to just keep adding more dots in an attempt to create an area that isn't touched by anything else. That's a runaway spiral, given the number of dots needed to freeze a single area increases with the number of dots I add anywhere near the outside of that same area.

Consider please? Manual triangle control would GREATLY increase the morphing efficiency of my work.

fantam
Site Admin

Re: Manual control of triangles?

Post by fantam »

Manual control of triangles, we actually have the same desire! However, the editing process may be complicated. We'll try to find an easy and intuitive way to implement this idea.
Thank you!

sdlawrence

Post by sdlawrence »

So relieved to hear that, thank you!

Even if you had a beta feature check box option with a warning that stated "FOR EXTREMELY ADVANCED USERS ONLY -- USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!", that would be very cool. You would have beta testers (like me) giving feedback while putting it through its paces, with no complaints if anything goes wrong.

In one of the other (lesser, horrible, inferior, which shall-not-be-named) morphing programs, shapes are implemented as autonomous morphing areas. Dots outside a shape can attach to a shape's external vertices, but won't intrude on the shape or affect the inner part of it in any way. With that feature a shape can even morph separately, over the top, almost like a separate layer.

IDEA: Define "hard" areas, or freeze/unfreeze triangles, and differentiate between dynamic dots and fixed dot 'shape' sets?

The way it might work: Dynamic dots would just be dots as they are now, with interconnecting lines/triangles automatically determined by existing algorithms. A set of "fixed shape" dots, however, would form a fully enclosed shape made up ONLY of lines between other fixed dots of that same "shape set" (which could be defined, btw, by your existing 'shape joining' lines feature). A fully enclosed shape, once created or defined, then becomes an autonomous region, the inner lines of which are off limits to, and cannot be intersected by, any dynamic dots. Dynamic dot algorithms could assign lines to any shape, but only to its external vertices.

I know, easier said that done - just throwing it out there as a brainstorm.

austing

Post by austing »

Would be nice to have this one considered already. Manual control of these is much of a convenient.
110%, all the time. Image